Friday 18 April 2014

The Second Week

Day 12 - Friday 11.4.14

Today the weather was sunny but cool. Poppy and I went walking further up the
hill we did a bit more exploring. It was the same as everywhere else, strimmers, pressure washers and paintbrushes going full pelt, everyone getting ready for the season.







We received delivery of our 10 litre box of wine today - just got to get it chilled.






This evening we went to Mon Amour with Phil n Jen and Neil and Wendy, the food was fantastic as usual. Phil had a T bone steak which covered his plate - he couldn't eat it all - so - lucky Poppy tomorrow! Perry and his family were there - it was a fantastic atmosphere with the children playing, but not being noisy. I love Mon Amour and especially as they collect you and drop you off after the meal, so I could have a drink. Then back to the Marvel for a nightcap

Day 13 - Saturday 12.4.14

Today we woke to a beautiful sunny day, a clear blue sky and a gentle breeze. One of the things we have discovered about Arillas on our first April visit is - it smells so different to other times of the year. When we arrive later in the year we miss the perfume of so many of the early flowers.

Lemon Tree
Kumkwat

Pink tree

Vasso, our landlady came to clean today. It was a lovely feeling sat in the garden relaxing with a coffee while she was busy.
We then took the van and went shopping, calling at the beach for Poppy to have a run and a swim.
We saw Yiota for the first time since we have been here, she is very busy cleaning her shop and organising her two new shops, one Silver shop in Arillas and a gift  shop in San Stefanos. Quite the entrepreneur our Yiota! we wish her all the luck in the world with her new ventures.
After such a hectic morning we passed the time of day with friends at the Beach Point cafe (cheapest drinks in Arillas). Then said hello to Spiros at the Marvel he has arrived back from Mathraki looking fit and well.
We glimpsed views of the beautiful sunset and flat calm sea as we drove Phil n Jen up to the Night Owl with us for Dinner. All four of us had  Chicken Souvlaki, it was delicious as usual as only Linda and Nikos can do,  Petros their young son made the delicious dessert.

New Jugs

Petros pudding













Day 14 - Sunday 13.4.14

Today is our gorgeous granddaughter Larissa's 25th birthday - sorry we are not there to have a family meal with her, but she is coming out to see us in June.
We drove up to Akrotiri for Phil n Jens last lunch before they return to the UK. I have never seen it so packed up there - parking was a bit of a challenge to say the least.

Akrotiri

 I am so pleased that the restaurant is doing well and has actually won quite a prestigious award this year - One of Corfu's top 10 Cultural Restaurants.  Well done Nikos - you have worked so hard for this.
http://theculturetrip.com/europe/greece/articles/corfu-s-10-best-cultural-restaurants-dining-on-the-greek-islands/

Looking out to Gravia

My lunch
T'other Phil, Jen, Phil and I
















When we returned to the apartment I was so cold and shivery - I went to bed to get warm,  I woke up @ 8pm and popped over to say goodbye to Phil n Jen, they leave at stupid o'clock tomorrow morning. Phil stayed for a drink with them but I went back to bed.

Day 15 - Monday 14.4.14

I spent the day in bed when I wasn't running to the loo. I felt so cold and had really bad stomach cramps. Looks like I may have picked up a bug. Phil took Poppy down to the beach and met Eileen and family at the Horizon - I was gutted I missed them.
We have had a slight challenge with Poppy's mixer I brought enough with us for the first week and bought a bag locally. When I opened it - things started to fly out - I don't know what they were, certainly not weevils, more like flying ants. So I sealed it up and put it out on the balcony - lesson to be learned - check dates - it was best before 06/2012. Luckily Sharon came to our rescue and gave us some mixer, also some dried doggy pasta. I have never heard of it before but as Poppy likes our leftover pasta we will give it a go. It looks delicious but not for human consumption.

Day 16 - Tuesday 15.4.14

I had a really uncomfortable night, running to the loo and  spasms that took my breath away, down my left side. Luckily the doctors is only about 500m away so I toddled off to see him. He is called Dr. Yannis Papadopoulos he speaks excellent English and is very thorough. He took some Immodiums from his cupboard and told me to take 2 immediately, he wrote a prescription for other meds, and told me to eat only dry bread and drink black tea and return to see him at 6pm tomorrow. Back to bed for me while Phil went off to find the Pharmacy in Avliotes. Our lovely friend Anne Byrne called in on her way to the shop to see if we needed anything - this is one of the reasons we love Arillas, people care about you, as much as family and friends back home do.
Meds seem to be working - not had a pain for a couple of hours, we decided to have a ride down to the beach for a spot of fresh air - fresh being the operative word - it was blowing a hooley. We met a couple who are friends of our friends Janis and Barry - they are on their honeymoon. Another lovely couple, we bought them a drink to congratulate them - then they sprinted up the hill to have their first meal in Arillas at Brouklis.
Early night for me, and am just hoping Phil is going to be OK as he is feeling a bit iffy.

Day 17 - 16.4.14

I had a fairly good nights sleep but woke at 6am with quite a lot of pain, so I had a hot drink, meds and back to bed.  Phil is still feeling a bit iffy but not in pain or running to the loo like I am. We had a really lazy day. I went back to the docs at 6pm as requested - but he was in the middle of an operation when I got there, he said he was sorry and could I go back tomorrow evening.
Phil was invited to play darts tonight next door at the Marvel. I felt a little better so I walked across with him. Kostas was amazed when I asked for black tea - thats a first - I don't think I have ever been in and not had a glass of his delicious wine. Phil enjoyed playing with his new darts - even though he lost!
 I had a discussion with a local friend, Neil, tonight and we came to the conclusion that the reason for my illness could be the water I am drinking. We brought a Brita water filter with us and have been using this for all our water. It seems that maybe unless the filtered water is boiled, it is not safe to drink as the filter removes chemicals but not bacteria! So only bottled water to drink in future - unless it has been boiled for my coffee.

Day 18 - 17.4.14

Maundy Thursday - The Queen is going to distribute the Maundy money in Blackburn today to 88 men and 88 women - one penny for each of her 88 years.
I had a good nights sleep and woke up hungry, really enjoyed some toast and black tea!
We had a drive into Sadari and were amazed to see some workmen out mending potholes! If it had not been pouring with rain we would have stopped to take a photo.
We went into the English shop and met Laura and her hubby Neil. What a lovely helpful couple they are and the shop is well stocked too - the prices were very reasonable and she even asked if there was anything we would like her to stock. The main thing we wanted was some Cheddar cheese, but she only has it in the summer, from mid May.
We went to the Cash and Carry and stocked up on bottled water - also they had some Cheddar.
It poured with rain most of the afternoon, but by 6pm, the sun was out. I walked down to the docs. I have to stay on very plain food, bread, cream crackers, boiled/jacket potatoes with a little butter, boiled rice, pasta without sauce. No fruit or vegetables and only weak black coffee, black tea and bottled water. No Easter eggs or Greek Lamb :-).
We took Poppy down to the beach for a run and swim.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152081850696868&l=3966054387169468666


Well that is the end of our second week - not how I envisioned it would be - but hey ho - a lesson has been well and truly learned. On the plus side I have done lots of reading.





1 comment:

  1. Have you lost any weight with all this tea and dry toast? Take care. Good reading. xx

    ReplyDelete